Events and conferences
Annual Conference RUIGEU
The UNIGUAL team were invited to attend the annual conference of the Red de Unidades de Igualdad de género para la excelencia universitaria (RUIGEU), held the 15-17th September 2020. The event, that connects its members from university equality units, offices, observatories, commissions, secretariats across Spain, consists of a series of roundtables, seminars and workshops and is a key forum in which best practices for the achievement of the effective implementation of gender equality policy are shared.
- Lorena Parajes, from the SUPERA project, assisted Alba Alonso, Rebecca Tildesley, and Isabel Diz from the UNIGUAL team in the running of a virtual workshop entitled "How to survive being responsable for the Equality Unit? Obstacles to the implementation of equality measures in universities and strategies to overcome them." The workshop was attended by a total of 15 Equality Unit directors from distinct universities who provided us with important insights for future analysis and research. Thank to all of our participants, a summary of the key findings will be available soon.
- UNIGUAL PI, Emanuela Lombardo, was invited to present her research, "Is sexual assault in the university normal? Opportunities and obstacles for the implementation of equality policies in Spanish universities", in the last seminar of the conference concerning the State Pact and measures to combat gender violence in university environments.
Click here to see the full agenda.
This year, the UNIGUAL team was due to present their research articles at the following conferences - The 26th International Political Science Association World Congress of Political Science (IPSA) in Lisbon, The VII Congreso de la Red española de Política Social (REPS) in Bilbao, and The Gender Equality in Higher Education Conference (GEHE) in Madrid. These events have been suspended and moved to 2021 due to the COVID-19 crisis.
In 2019, the UNIGUAL team, alongside researchers from other European universities, presented the research project’s preliminary findings and insights in panels at the Council for European Studies Conference in Madrid, the European Conference on Politics and Gender (ECPG) en Ámsterdam and the XIV Congreso AECPA en Salamanca.
XIV AECPA Congress, Salamanca, 10-12 July 2019.
Isabel Diz and Alba Alonso presented and chaired the panel “Las políticas de igualdad de género en las universidades europeas y españolas: alianzas y obstáculos” (Gender equality policies in European and Spanish Universities: alliances and obstacles) at the AECPA Congress in Salamanca.
Papers presented by the UNIGUAL team:
- “The implementation of gender+ equality policies in Spanish universities: oppositions and alliances to measures against sexual and sexist harassment”, María Bustelo and EmanuelaLombardo, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- “Resistance to women’s representation in Spanish universities”, Isabel Diz and Alba Alonso, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela.
ECPG Conference, Amsterdam, 4-6 July 2019
Emanuela Lombardo chaired the panel “Gender+ equality policies in European universities: alliances and oppositions in agenda-setting and implementation processes”, with María Bustelo as a discussant, at the European Conference of Politics and Gender in Amsterdam.
The papers presented were by members of the UNIGUAL team as well as researchers from other European universities.
Papers presented by the UNIGUAL team:
- “The implementation of gender+ equality policies in Spanish universities: oppositions and alliances to measures against sexual and sexist harassment”, María Bustelo and Emanuela Lombardo, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- “Velvet triangles for engendering the higher education curriculum”, Tània Verge, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- “Resistance to women’s representation in Spanish universities”, Isabel Diz and Alba Alonso, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela
- “The institutionalization of equality policies: Tension between progress, resistance, and strategic actions by Gender Equality Units (GEUs)”, Cecilia Castaño and Susana Vázquez- Cupeiro, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Council of European Studies Congress, Madrid, 20-22 June 2019.
At the Universidad Carlos 3 for the CES Congress, the UNIGUAL team presented the panel “Gender+ equality policies in European universities: alliances and oppositions in agenda-setting and implementation processes”. Emanuela Lombardo chaired the panel and María Bustelo was a discussant.
Papers presented by the UNIGUAL team:
- “The implementation of gender+ equality policies in Spanish universities: oppositions and alliances to measures against sexual and sexist harassment”, María Bustelo y Emanuela Lombardo, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- “Women´s presence in university government”, Alba Alonso y Isabel Diz, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela.
- “Progress and resistance to gender mainstreaming in Spanish public universities. The case of Gender Equality Units”, Cecilia Castaño y Susana Vázquez-Cupeiro, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Other conferences and papers (2019 & 2018)
Olga Salido presented the paper "Los efectos no previstos de la evaluación de la transferencia: un análisis del impacto de género" in the Seminar about 'Knowledge Transfer Evaluation' and its impact organised by the CSIC. Cordoba, 12-13 December.
Isabel Diz (USC) and Ángela Fernández, presented “La institucionalización de la igualdad en la universidad: las unidades de igualdad”, at the VI Xornada universitaria en Xénero. Universidade da Coruña, 14 June 2019
Susana Vázquez-Cupeiro and Cecilia Castaño presented “Resistencia trabajo de la Unidades de Igualdad de Género en las Universidades públicas españolas”, XIII Congreso Español de Sociología, 3-6 Julio 2019, GT12. Sociología del Género. Session 2. Políticas de Igualdad en las Universidades.
Cecilia Castaño and José Luís Martínez Cantos presented “División de Género del Trabajo en las Universidades Públicas Españolas”, at the Seminario EGECO, UCM, 23 May 2018.
Cecilia Castaño presented “División de género del trabajo en las universidades públicas reestructuradas” at the Congreso Internacional 70º Aniversario de la Declaración Internacional de los Derechos Humanos y la Lucha por la Igualdad Real y Efectiva, 10, 11 & 12 December 2018 Universidad de Salamanca.
María Bustelo presented“¿Cómo hacer evaluaciones de planes que sean útiles y efectivas?” and Tània Verge presented “La perspectiva de género en la docencia universitaria ” at the XIII Encuentro de la Red de Unidades de Igualdad de Género para la Excelencia Universitaria (RUIGEU), 4 & 5 April 2019, Alicante. https://web.ua.es/es/unidad-igualdad/xii-encuentro-2019/programa.html
Tània Verge organized a one day seminar about the incorpoation of the gender perspective in the UPF, 30 May 2019. Videos of the day can be found here: https://www.upf.edu/web/igualtat/jornadaperspectivagenere
On the 22nd of September 2020, the members of the UNIGUAL team met online to present and share their latest research on topics related to gender equality in Spanish universities and to receive feedback. Members of the GEYPO network also attended what was a fruitful and interesting morning of presentations and discussions. Click here for the agenda.
The UNIGUAL team participates in the Gender and Politics Research Seminars (GEYPO) and has organized the following events related to the project theme:
This year, the GEYPO seminar participants presented their PhD advances virtually and from all over the world. Our team member, Rebecca Tildesley also presented the first chapter of her thesis concerned with the implementation of gender equality policies in Spanish higher education.
Seminar 27th June 2019
The annual GEYPO Doctoral seminar is an opportunity for researchers of themes related to gender and politics to share their thesis advancements and receive feedback.